Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Famine and provision

~Luke 4.25-26 I assure you that there were many widows in Israel in Elijah’s time, when the sky was shut for three and a half years and there was a severe famine throughout the land. Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them, but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of Sidon.

Jesus' point here is that God doesn't play favorites, but what want to note is the statement that for over three years "the sky was shut," resulting, not surprisingly, in famine. This is a story of God's interaction with his people in the Old Testament (II Kings 17). I plan to continue my food study there when I finish the New. And I will look at this amazing record of provision then.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ruth: You think you'll finish that in your lifetime?
You may want to limit that to just food.
Your mother is sending something by snail mail.

>"Food" = that which sustains, or keeps us going
>Many places in the Bible: "Food" = "Bread" = "Meat"
>Read John 4:34, then John 19:30!

(Typo on your info: John 4; not John 3)

Various kinds of fasting: Eat nothing, no meat, liquid
only, one day, one week, etc. "Breakfast" = break fast

Recently an expert said: "You can eat anything you want.
Frequency & amount make the difference." Eating ice
cream & cake at a wedding reception won't kill you, but
if you that's your daily fare, you may have a problem.

Modern translations drastically change it, but one of my favorite verses in the
KJV is Phil 4:5, "Let your moderation be known to all men."

Unknown said...

It is really Wad's comments !

Ruth said...

I have a translation of Philippians 4.5 that reads like this: Let your sweet reasonableness, your forbearance, your being satisfied with less than your due, become known to all men.

You may be right, but I wanna know where the veggies are in that food = bread = meat equation! :-]