~John 4.1-38 I'm looking for what I can learn about food from this. Jesus asked for water when he was tired by the long walk from Judea to Galilee. He compared the spiritual life that he as to give to living water. By now I'm noticing how common these food and drink pictures are.
Sometimes I have no desire for a particular food someone is offering to me. Maybe I'm not hungry, or it doesn't look that good, or maybe I am hungry and it looks great, but it's all white flour, sugar and salt which I try to avoid. But usually I will eat at least a little of it anyway for the sake of the person offering. I appreciate that she wants to give me this perceived pleasure or comfort, and I want to offer something back: my thanks and satisfaction with the food. My kids seem to have none at all of this obligation to nicely and unquestioningly accept what their mom offers. Apparently Jesus felt no such need either. More than that, he kind of belittled his disciples' offer by saying he had other food they didn't know anything about--spiritual food. Steve Martin might say, "Well, ex-cuuuuse me!"
Then we have another analogy, the white fields.
2 comments:
What are you talking about? We ate up every bite of your falafel. mmm
Plus, maybe it has something to do with relationship- showing the depth of our trust by honestly revealing our true opinion.
Haha! I have to admit it's getting better, even with Emma, who will even take a small piece of fish now. But in days gone by . .. .
Post a Comment