~John 6.35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.
~John 6.51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.”
Jesus is the bread of life, the staple, the basic necessity to keep us going. This metaphor blesses bread, real bread, as something valuable to our diets. I don't mean the fluffy, nutrient-stripped stuff, bleached white with a handful of vitamins added back in; I don't mean donuts or plain bagels or the usual pasta. I mean food made from fiber-rich, nutrient-dense whole grain. (You can get some at Great Harvest Bakery which grinds the wheat for the day's flour every morning. Yummy!)
I will add a footnote, a foodnote, on the no-carb, high-protein diet. Yes, it's possible to loose weight on this, but if we were eating real grain rather than the highly processed stuff in the cookies, crackers, breads, muffins, pastas, and cakes that fill grocery store shelves, we could keep the bread and eat more healthful amounts of the meat.
No comments:
Post a Comment