Sunday, July 17, 2011

Crux of the Matter

~Luke 12.22-26 Jesus said . . . “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food . . . . Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

~Luke 12.29-31 New International Version
And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

~Luke 12.29 Amplified Bible
And you, do not seek [by meditating and reasoning to inquire into] what you are to eat and what you are to drink; nor be of anxious (troubled) mind [unsettled, excited, worried, and in suspense]

~Luke 12.29 Common English Bible
Don’t chase after what you will eat and what you will drink. Stop worrying.

~Luke 12.29 Good News Translation
So don't be all upset, always concerned about what you will eat and drink.

~Luke 12.29 New Living Translation
So don't be all upset, always concerned about what you will eat and drink.

~Luke 12.29-31 Young's Literal Translation
`And ye -- seek not what ye may eat, or what ye may drink, and be not in suspense, for all these things do the nations of the world seek after, and your Father hath known that ye have need of these things; but, seek ye the reign of God, and all these things shall be added to you.

For my reasoning on why I keep this what-the-Bible-recommends-to-eat blog when the Bible itself says not to worry about what to eat (ahem!), please see the About Me section and my Most Important Entry posted on March 24 when I consider Matthew's account of this same message. (I'm not sure why the the two messages are separated in chronological Bibles.)

Today I want to focus on verse 29 and the fact that I disobey this admonition. Sometimes sitting in church I happily anticipate what I'm going to have afterwards. Or maybe at lunch I have "set my heart" on that dark chocolate I'm going to indulge in after eating all my lovely veggies. It does take away from the pleasure of the moment.

But how does one not do this? Anticipating a pleasure to come is the way we are made; it's natural. But if my ongoing food thoughts begin to crowd out better thoughts, they can become an idol, right? I need to be alert for that. God, help me.

No comments: