We were fortunate to be able to visit China and are just adjusting to return. We enjoyed some fabulous meals there. It's interesting to see the difference from western tastes. Consider breakfast. At home, Americans love their cereal and milk. We did not see this on either of our excursions to China as cold food is not considered a good start to the day. Of course we were mainly having breakfast at hotel buffets, not in homes. Thin, hot rice porridge, congee, served with some minced pork or pickled vegetables, is common. Steamed buns. Cellophane or other noodles. Various preparations of tofu. Fish. Thousand-year eggs. Warm fresh soy milk (yummy!). No dairy except yogurt. Sweet potato. Cabbage. Fruit. These things are commonly seen on a breakfast buffet.
I love some parts of this meal like the just-made soy milk and the sweet potato (or squash). But all the wheat and rice products I saw were processed white--bread, rolls, dumpling and spring roll wrappers, noodles. The first missed item I wanted when I got back home last time was Raisin Bran (labeled Raisin Barn in the one hotel that had it). This time it was just a piece of whole wheat toast.
No comments:
Post a Comment