Friday, November 18, 2011

the cup of suffering

~Mark 14.36 “Abba, Father,” he cried out, “everything is possible for you. Please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”

~Matthew 26.39, 42 He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, “My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” Then Jesus left them a second time and prayed, “My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will be done.”

~Luke 22.41-46 He walked away, about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, “Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.” 43 Then an angel from heaven appeared and strengthened him.

I've been surprised to note how many times Jesus uses food or eating to make pictures of the kingdom. Often, as in references to feasting, these show blessing. This time it depicts suffering. Was he thinking of the Passover wine he'd just shared with the disciples? Or maybe bitter water like at Marah in Exodus 15?

No comments: