June 1, 2025
First Christian Church on Staley Road west of Champaign-Urbana definitely has the big church vibe. Cars were pouring into the lot when I arrived for the first of two services. I was welcomed by a few people. Got a cup of tea and found a seat with a couple hundred others in the open-ceiling auditorium. Basketball goals were folded up overhead. Yahweh We Love You led into worship before a quite time for taking communion on our own, the elements of which were available from baskets at the doors. This was also the time those who wished to give could deposit their offerings.A young woman was then baptized in a big tub at the front. All
were invited to repeat a confession of faith with her.
By video a guy told how getting involved with one of the
church teams had impacted his life. Finding a way to serve helped his family
get connected and was a good example for his kids. People can learn more about
this involvement by visiting the Next Steps area in the foyer. Faith is not
just about what I receive, but also what I give, the man said.
A worship team of eight led us through a couple of songs in
the still-darkened auditorium, as lights shown out from the stage. Someone who
had been serving at the church for ten years shared a few sentences again encouraging
people to visit the Next Steps spot to get plugged in and, to my surprise, the
service was finished.
Hurrying out because I was cold, I remembered something
special about this place. They have an indoor playground and surrounding
walking track that’s open free to the public. What a great service to the area for
cold or rainy days!
No comments:
Post a Comment