~Matthew 6.16-18 When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Last year our church congregation was called to a "Daniel fast" (mostly vegetables) for the season of Lent. I loved the group effort. The fast was a big topic of conversation among the people trying it. As we shared various experiences (and recipes!) this verse came to mind. I thought that probably we were not violating the spirit of the verse, because we weren't showing off our piety, but were encouraging each other in the endeavor. My other thought was that I wasn't doing the fast for reward anyway, but as a God-honoring discipline.
Being Baptists, the family of my youth gave no special attention to Lent. In my adult experience, the Vineyard movement hasn't emphasized it either, last year being an exception. So, this year I haven't really settled on anything solid to sacrifice. It's still five weeks until Easter, and I'm open to hearing from God about it.
1 comment:
I love Lent. I think I've practiced it in some form every year since I was in GodSearch under Jeff Heidkamp. He kind of likes old style high church traditions.
Post a Comment