Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Yummy, healthy greens for my Buddy Brenda

I eat greens a few times a week. They're easy to cook; it's the washing that can be tedious. Took a dish to the CHS soccer team pot luck tonight and they all disappeared. Brenda, if you were my neighbor, I'd make this for you!

1 or 2 tablespoons of oil, olive or canola preferred
1 or 2 bunches of kale or collard greens, washed, stemmed, and cut up some (They cook down quite a bit.)
minced garlic to taste (It's really easy to use from the jars in the produce section, but garlic powder should work ok too)

Optional adds:
sliced mushrooms
chopped fennel bulb (This yummy green plant tastes like licorice. Google how to chop it.)
chopped onion
sesame seeds
slivered almonds
bacon bits

Stir fry the garlic in the oil until it starts to get golden--just a few minutes. (Can you tell I"m not a very precise cook?) If you're adding mushroom, fennel, onion, seeds, or nuts, add those next and cook for another maybe three minutes or so. Add the kale and continue to stir fry, coating it with the garlic and oil as it "cooks down." A few minutes later, when the volume has gone down and the color is really bright, you're done.

This is really healthy stuff. And I think maybe Jesus could have had access to a dish like this, except for the bacon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

who knows, maybe I could learn to like cooked greens. With the nuts, seeds and fennel, sounds OK! I don't remember if Jesus ate meat. I know the bible says it's alright, but some meats were off limits because they weren't considered clean. Anyway, thanks for making me a "blogstar" Keep sending the thoughts we love them
Brenda

Ruth said...

Well, Jesus probably ate fish, and he probably didn't eat pork. Aside from that, I have no guesses at this point.

You are a star!