Saturday, April 9, 2016

Light before sun? Another vote for function

According to another OT professor, C John Collins of Covenant Theological Seminary, the word customarily translated made in Genesis 1:16 can also mean appointed or working on something that is already in existence.  Lennox notes that this fits with the functional point of view, particularly when we see that the next verse explains the purpose of these bodies of light.  In Seven Days that Changed the World, Lennox says, "Those 'lights' help humans find their place and time in space-time.  It is surely the purpose of the sun, moon, and stars that is being emphasized in day 4, not how and when they came into being."  Ok!

Sources note:  Clearly, I'm a fan of Oxford mathematician John Lennox, even though he is critical of another scholar I highly respect, John Walton.  It's Walton who puts forth the functional creation model.  I'm happy to say that on this issue of the sun being on day 4 while light is on day 1, the two seem to agree.  :-]

No comments: