Tuesday, February 2, 2021

PT

I lost a lot of personal power on January 5, power to move freely, to walk, even to stand.  The surgical bone repair was a huge Step One in restoring those abilities.  But since then my empowerment team has been physical therapists—God bless them every one!

A high point of my hospital stay was the therapists coming in the morning after surgery and getting me up on my feet—well, mostly one foot.  Standing upright and then sitting in a chair was such a relief.  They accompanied me, with the walker, to the bathroom, maybe 20 steps away.  It was exhausting and exhileratiing.

OSF PT staff came three times during that next 24 hours, and I tried to get as much as I could from each visit.  Is it ok to try this?  How do I do that without hurting something?

Once home, I called to set up ongoing appointments near our house.  "Not until next Tuesday?  Is there any way you can fit me in today?  Just name your time."  At 4 p.m. I met PT Beth who evaluated my abilities and gave me home assignments plus twice-a-week visits for five weeks.  My diligence and these work sessions with her and Kim have contributed greatly to progress in movement. These two challenge and encourage me.  They listen.

I shudder to think what likely happened to people with this injury a hundred years ago.  It could have meant not walking again and the serious consequences of that.  So I push on with cheers from my empowering physical therapists.  Big thanks to them!

No comments: