~Mark 6.7-9 And he called his twelve disciples together and began sending them out two by two, giving them authority to cast out evil spirits. He told them to take nothing for their journey except a walking stick—no food, no traveler’s bag, no money. He allowed them to wear sandals but not to take a change of clothes.
This is a hard verse. I don't travel light, and I wouldn't think of starting a trip without packing some healthy snacks. If I don't pack fruit, nuts, or other good stuff, I'm left with convenience store offerings like Pringles, Otis Spunkmeyer muffins, and apple juice.
So what is Jesus' point? Total dependence on God? Being willing to accept from others? Focusing on the Kingdom rather than on physical concerns?
Of course, with no Coke, M&Ms, nor Doritos available, what was offered was much more likely to be natural, healthy food, right?
Maybe there's something cultural here. Maybe staying with someone, being hosted in their home and relying on them for food as well as shelter was a sign of trust or affirmation which would not happen if I came in with a cooler and a sleeping bag. Hmmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment