Friday, April 8, 2011

Bad hospitality

Luke 7.36ff When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. . . . . Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.” . . . . “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

Again we get a peek at a dinner party. Jesus observes that, despite the invitation, the host's hospitality is sadly lacking. For a guest to so bluntly state this to the provider of his dinner would certainly be considered bad manners by Emily Post. It's intriguing to note the Lord's lack of concern for what people in power think of him. I wonder what was served and if he cleaned up his plate. Young's Literal Translation says, "he reclined (at meat)" which isn't much to go on for menu.

No comments: