For over fifteen years, I have resisted admitting my problem.
I've tried three drugs for a
few months to a few years each with no satisfactory result. I've tried weight-bearing exercise (weighted
vest anyone?), dietary improvements, and mineral supplements.
Of course I have gotten prayer. These are good things. But alas—sigh—this remains: I
have osteoporosis.
Doggonit. It's hard
to say that. Why is it hard to say that? It's not like it's a character flaw. It's not from lack of attention to good
health. My mother has it; my grandmother
had it. They both had kyphosis, the
grandma hunch back, in their last years.
The National Osteoporosis Foundation reports "Studies show that half of all women over the
age of 50 and a quarter of men will break a bone in their lifetime due to this
chronic, devastating disease." Is anyone else stunned
by that number? Half!
It makes me feel old.
That's it. Who falls and breaks a
hip? Old people. Sigh. I
thought I could beat the odds, but nope.
And now, I seriously have to accept some kind of
intervention so this doesn't get even worse. (Thank
you dear medical friends for not saying, "I told you so!") We met with an energetic young
endocrinologist this morning who seems to know his stuff and who has a clear
recommendation. I consulted with knowledgeable
MD friend, Crystal, for approval. And now I'll just have to take the medicine and pray for God's mercy.
No comments:
Post a Comment