Sunday, January 31, 2021

Switching Up Meals

Nothing but ice chips were offered to me in the hospital for 24 hours after I fell.  No food was fine.  Didn't feel like it; didn't miss it.  It actually took a few days for me to start getting my appetite back, and even then my old companion Dark Chocolate Craving was subdued.  I decided not to invite it back, well, at least not to the same degree.  One line of reasoning says sugar is acidic to the body and therefore not conducive to bone building.  Diabetes is also a risk factor in my family.  Etc, etc.

The other big change that Steve and I are trying is switching our main meal from evening to midday.  I remember my parents doing this at about our age and it has served them well.  So for the last several weeks, we've had breakfast, dinner, supper instead of breakfast, lunch, dinner.  Because Steve is retired now and it's winter and people aren't eating out much because of COVID-19, this has been a fairly easy swap.  Light suppers are good, sometimes just a big salad, or a bit of leftover something, or just popcorn.  Tonight we had a baked sweet potato with fixins; last night roasted veggies and walnuts with apple salad.  Don't forget the protein.  It works.  :-]   

No comments: