Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Thank you OSF hospital staff

From the moment we arrived at the ER, I felt well-cared for despite the trauma of the situation which had me trembling like a leaf for the first hours.  We've heard how much stress the medical system is under, and I don't doubt it.  But those I encountered during my 53-hour stay were attentive and supportive nonetheless.  Here are a few memorable examples of the many masked heroes I met. 

Logan was primary nurse in the ER.  Reassuring and helpful, he did not insist on cutting clothing to get me changed into the sanctioned hospital garb, and besides attaching various diagnostic devices, he administered the deep-nose covid test so gently I hardly noticed.  Tom happily wheeled me to X-ray where every effort was made to make the move from bed to table without causing undue pain.  Kudos to the X-ray team!  Up in the room my most upbeat and wonderful nurse for two days was Stephanie.  I never saw this amazing woman look impatient or overstressed.  Night nurse Alisha was also unfailingly available and cheery.  I so appreciated these two.

Dr. Kohlmann did careful surgery and made himself available for questions.  His nurse practitioner Glenett gets an A+ for her presence and care.  Chris helped as he could.  Capable anesthesiology assistant Mai was kind enough to massage my shoulders during the procedure.    

I was happy to have early visits from physical and occupational therapists, Tina, Jesse, Destinee, and Jessica.  Having their input on how to move my achy self before I went home was important.

RN Lisa convinced me that the importance of sleep mitigated any concern about pain meds for the first few days post-op.  And case worker Vicki made herself available for figuring out what I might need at home.

Many more competent essential workers we met.  God bless them all!

No comments: