Thursday, January 21, 2021

Walkin'

 
Today's great pleasure was a walk, a real walk outside!  I have been walking—10,000ish steps a day—since COVID-19 discouraged the Fitness Center.  Steve and I have walked parks, small towns, and neighborhoods all over Champaign-Urbana.  If we wanted different scenery, we'd drive five miles or thirty miles and walk there.  Sometimes we called friends to join us since meeting inside was risky.

Weekday habit was for me to walk around nearby Lake Devonshire (3,000 steps) first thing most mornings and then Steve and I to take a longer walk in the afternoon.  It was on one of those first-thing walks that a single patch of unseen ice laid me low. 

My step count has dropped from 10,000 to 1,000 a day (lots of putzing around the house, plus physical therapy and MD appointments).  I've missed being outside.  But today it's over two weeks past injury and with temps in the 40s, I had to try it.

So with Steve at my side and walker in front I went out.  It was great.  A couple of neighbors sympathized and walked with us a bit.  Charming man on the corner whose wife has had her share of ambulatory issues brought out two tennis balls to donate to the walker and gave me a bigger grabber thing.  We joked with him about running a medical supply house.

I made it all the way around our little three-sided block. 😅

No comments: